Monday, February 20, 2012

Kurt's 45th Birthday Post

Today is/ would have been Kurt Cobain's 45th birthday. No one can deny that he was amazing and super talented, I think anyone that accomplishes something that can touch, to even change the life of someone they never met must half at least an ounce of talent. Obviously Kurt Cobain, went beyond touching one person, with his music and his personality and beliefs he changed or touched the lives of millions. Only a handful of people have really done so. I first really started listening to Nirvana on my own when I was thirteen. I mean, of course I knew who Nirvana was and I had heard the huge hits, such as: 'Come As You Are', 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', 'Lithium', 'Heart-Shaped Box', etc. before, but I didn't know about Nirvana or really how their music had changed the landscape for music. Six or so months after I took the initiative to listen to Nirvana on my own, of course I realized how amazing these were, and I was interest in the artist behind them. How could they of these lyrics and these melodies? I read the Wikipedia page and learned a little about Kurt and I remember being so inspired by his story and who he was as a person. I began this strong admiration for him and just felt really connected to him, even though our lives did not overlap at all. When I finally began High School, I met other people that loved Kurt Cobain and to be honest I was sort of surprised at first that there were people that loved him as much as I did and felt "connected" to him as I did. I learned Kurt was not just relatable to me, but millions of people from 1991 when Nevermind hit to now feel/felt this overwhelming connection to him. I think it is great that he is not of those rock stars who just dies and it is over. There are so many people still discovering who he is and Nirvana's music. If you were to click on my Kurt Cobain label, you would see that to me, the word amazing is such an underestimate for what we was. Here are three links to videos that I love regarding or of Kurt.
1. Sappy Tribute - Created by Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic
2. Krist Novoselic On Kurt
3. Kurt and Krist 1992 Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment