Thursday, January 26, 2012

Kool Thing

Kool Thing- Sonic Youth

Is it sad that up until about three months ago I had never really listened to Sonic Youth? It took me years until I finally found the time out of my "extremely busy" life to listen to this awesome band? Especially considering how much I love Nirvana and how I know they toured with Sonic Youth and how there are multiple pictures of Kurt wearing shirts with Sonic Youth's cover for Goo on it? AND considering the degree of my Kurt Cobain obsession at it's peak, combined with the fact Kurt was close with Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore, I am in even more shock it didn't trigger a Sonic Youth obsession alongside Nirvana! I mean, years I went without having any questions about who/what Sonic Youth was! I am sort of appalled by my own ignorance to not look them up after years... They are incredible and ah, why did I wait so long? Their music is so amazingly odd and strange and considering all of the music that came pre-Sonic Youth it must have sounded so new and experimental and mind blowing to people who were alive when Sonic Youth first released their debut, Sonic Youth in 1982. Yes, this song is from Goo which was released in 1990, but wow, I really wish I could have been their to get a better perspective because the small knowledge of music history I know, Sonic Youth, well Goo, must have been so ground-breaking for alternative punk-rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment