Friday, January 27, 2012

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea- Neutral Milk Hotel

This song is most definitely one of my favorite songs of all time. Everything about it is just so beautiful, beautiful is an understatement for this song, particularly the lyrics. Judging songs by the lyrics of the entire song, this is lyrically, my favorite songs. Yes, there are certain lyrics in this song that do not measure up to some of my other favorites lyrcisists such as: Zach Condon, Kurt Cobain, Morrissey, Joe Strummer, etc. but instead of taking stanzas or lines, but just judged a song by every single word, this is my favorite. It is very straightforward, and typically I like lyrics to be a bit mysterious that make you think about them and try to figure them out, but the imagery of this song is just, wow I hate to use the word again, but beautiful. This is probably my favorite lyric in the song: "And one day we will die /  And our ashes will fly / From the aeroplane over the sea / But for now we are young / Let us lay in the sun / And count every beautiful thing we can see." I know, it doesn't make a huge statement like The Clash did with their lyrics, and it isn't cynically bitter like Morrissey, nor is it sarcastic melodic deepness like Kurt, but I don't think good lyrics have to be one's you look at and thing "ah! That's genius! It's so clever!" or "They're really asserting their opinion! It's fantastic to see people using their popularity for good!",  but as long as you like it that's all that matters in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment